Monday, April 16, 2007

Monday Miscellaneous

Here's the NY Post headline of the year so far:

24 notes: Six years now terrorists have been thwarted by Jack Bauer. You’d think they’d be smart enough to maybe not base their headquarters in Los Angeles. I’m assuming there are no CTU offices in St. Louis. Or Cleveland. And you could argue, well, the weather in Cleveland is horrible (I know the Seattle Mariners are still bitching) but hell, it’s only one day.

24 SPOILER ALERT: Oh no, Audrey is back??!! Like most 24 fans, I think I’d rather Jack be in love with Fayed.

LOST remains great although it’s hard to top April 4th’s episode. Evangeline Lily (pictured) handcuffed to Elizabeth Mitchell, a catfight, AND it was in mud.

But last Wednesday, when Jack said to Juliet (Mitchell): “They’ll have some patience with you for a while, but you better start giving them answers” I think the writers were acknowledging what a lot of viewers are saying about the show.

ABC Primetime President Steve McPherson promised that “all dramas will be funny” for this year’s development season. If that doesn’t work, Steve – MUD!!! Think DIRTY Betty.

I got post-happy over the weekend. A bunch of new goofy YouTubes and stuff. So if you're like 90% of my audience (only reading my blog at work on someone else's dime) catch up on the Saturday-Sunday fare. Deep throat meets Eurovision.

The new parking restrictions at Dodger Stadium that have resulted in massive gridlock will eventually ease the parking situation. Enough fans will stop going so the five who remain will find getting in and out a breeze.

The LOOKOUT is worth seeing. Beautifully constructed. Everything pays off in a smart way. Scott Frank is Quentin Tarentino for grown ups.

Also saw the HOAX at a WGA screening. You can always tell a WGA screening. Half the audience wears baseball caps. Anyway, the movie was okay and now I know what mistakes to avoid while selling my autobiography of Sumner Redstone.

The Milwaukee Brewers have 17 scheduled bobblehead giveaways this season. Make your plans now for Phil Rozewicz Night, when fans will receive bobbleheads of the team's popular visiting clubhouse manager.

We lost a giant when Kurt Vonnegut passed away. If you haven’t read SIRENS OF TITAN treat yourself. It’s a great book.

Ironically, many people only know him from the one piece he didn’t write – the sunblock graduation speech. It was actually written by Mary Schmich, a Chicago Tribune reporter.

Baseball teams, like networks, usually have slogans every season. "This is our year!" "Going all the way!", etc. How's this for optimism from the hapless 1964 Washington Senators? "Off the floor in '64". That was actually their slogan. It didn't help by the way.

GRINDHOUSE fizzled at the boxoffice. I guess kids today don’t remember those Saturday nights going to the Drive-In, watching all those schlocky Roger Corman movies. Why is that? Oh. Maybe because it all took place twenty years before THEY WERE BORN!

I don’t mean to be incredibly cruel and heartless, Quentin Tarentino, but you made a movie that was…well, let’s just say it -- un-cool.

I’m sorry, buddy. I know that had to hurt.

Instead of GRINDHOUSE, Netflix DEATH RACE 2000. Here's the tagline:

IN THE YEAR 2000 HIT AND RUN DRIVING IS NO LONGER A FELONY, IT'S A NATIONAL SPORT!

Plus, it stars Sylvester Stallone and the Real Don Steele in their only screen appearance together. Needless to say, Don wipes the floor with Sly. And the nudity is entirely gratuitous.

Well, I've put if off long enough. Better get to filling out my taxes.

19 comments:

Noah said...

Ken, have you seen The TV Set? New comedy currently in a few theatres with David Duchovny as a writer producing a sitcom pilot. I love to hear what you think about it. When I saw it, there was one guy howling with a mixture of laughter and pain. I'm guessing there was a WGA membership card in his wallet.

MrTact said...

To someone's point (er, one of the Ain't It Cool editors? I think maybe) it was a colossally stupid-ass move to release Grind House on Easter. I mean, really. How the hell did they think that bit of counter-programming was going to work?

Emily Blake said...

When I watch 24 I have three simultaneous thoughts as I look out from my balcony at the Hollywood sign:

1) I am doomed. Eventually Jack will not be able to stop the terrorist from destroying the city.

2) Thank god we have Jack so he's been able to stop them so far.

3) Can he do something about the forest fires? They make me cough.

IQCrash said...

I think Grindhouse will find its audience on DVD. It just picked a bad weekend to debut and the longer-than-usual runtime cursed it in the box office.

I still have faith, Quentin.

VP81955 said...

Baseball teams, like networks, usually have slogans every season. "This is our year!" "Going all the way!", etc. How's this for optimism from the hapless 1964 Washington Senators? "Off the floor in '64." That was actually their slogan. It didn't help by the way.

Ken, it did help. That year, the Senators -- who had held or shared last place in each of their three previous expansion seasons, while the team that deserted them and became the Minnesota Twins turned into a perennial contender, largely with players developed in Washington -- finished in sole possession of ninth, ahead of the Kansas City Athletics.

Paul Duca said...

Too bad you didn't live in Boston, Ken...since today is a state holiday (Patriots' Day, aka Marathon Day), you'd get a one day extension on filing your taxes.

Anonymous said...

Ken--I was in Long Beach Sat at Acres of Books, the used bookstore. You'll be pleased to know that IT'S GONE is available for $8 harcover, or at least until word gets out

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Ken. We're going to have to endure Audrey for only seven more episodes, although she might appear in an future "24" movie. I suspect that we're going to find out that Jack and Audrey weren't really in love, that they were each involved in a scheme, and they were just using each other as part of their covers.

Anonymous said...

Noah,

Saw The TV Set. Loved it. Impeccably cast. Wow.

Mark

Anonymous said...

>>GRINDHOUSE fizzled at the boxoffice. I guess kids today don’t remember those Saturday nights going to the Drive-In, watching all those schlocky Roger Corman movies. Why is that? Oh. Maybe because it all took place twenty years before THEY WERE BORN!<<

Actually it was more like 9 months before they were born, or have you forgotten the reason we even went to drive-ins. It sure wasn't for the expensive popcorn or wonderful sound system.

Alaskaray

Matt said...

Grindhouse was awesome. Box office has nothing to do with judging the quality of a movie. The only reason I care about it being a DVD success is so they can possibly make more films like this in the future. To all those who didn't see the movie, they missed out. Maybe they were busy rewatching some crap like Night at the Museum. At least Tarantino remembers what it's like to be young, and to love going to the cinema. He's the least jaded filmmaker in Hollywood.

Diane said...

While in High School, many moons ago, I read all the Vonnegut I could get my hands on. I think it's time to go back and re-read some of his classics.

Malaki said...

Kind of a few cheap shots at Tarantino in your blog. Seems unnecessary to dis a guy that has accomplished quite a bit in this industry. He's done it without being born into a show business family, without going to film school, and without selling out to make mainstream, commercial, run of the mill crap. I understand that can be annoying to other people, but I think in the end it's jealousy.
Tarantino's career is fine. The only huge hit he's ever had is Pulp Fiction, and that was a fluke and completely unexpected. Not quite sure what problem you have with him or his films, but my guess is jealousy.
I agree The Lookout was incredible, but no better than Pulp Fiction. Not even as good.

Will Teullive said...

The critics seem to like Grindhouse so I'm surprised it hasn't done well at the box office.

Did it have a limited release to Grindhouses only?

Blarneyman said...

Malaki, do you consider Kill Bill a commercial failure???? It made $330M worldwide!

By the way, Robert Rodriquez was also apart of Grindhouse so you can't fault Quentin. I am still excited to see the films, but releasing them at Easter was a bad move.

Del said...

they put it out at easter so people could get "Rapist Number One" Action Figures for their kid's easter baskets!
DUH!!

Anonymous said...

In the article found at http://thetyee.ca/Books/2007/04/16/KilgoreTrout/ , I found a Vonnegut quotation I thought you might find particularly interesting because of your resume.

"I talk about TV and I say that an awful lot of plays from the golden age of theatre in New York City, the 1920s and '30s, are no better than sitcoms. There's a staircase coming down one side and a couch and a coffee table and French doors are opening into the garden or something like that. And there are lots of things on TV in recent times, which are superior to almost anything on Broadway. And I said that I would rather have written Cheers than anything I did write. And I consider MASH and Hill Street Blues of tremendous importance -- ethically-- in shaping the American character."

Sunny Franklin

Paul said...

Oh, Grindhouse is cool. Very cool. Most fun I've had at the movies in a while.

I agree with igcrash. Easter weekend was a very stupid weekend to release that particular movie.

Seymour said...

I was very amused to read that the young crowd going to Grindhouse didn't understand the double-feature concept, and were leaving after the first movie.

I passed on it, not merely because I've disliked everything Tarantino has made, but because it was a tribute to movies I made a point of not going to see 30 years ago. A tribute to old garbage! Who could resist?