Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day

On this Father’s Day (the most sacred holiday of the year) I’d like to wish a happy one to my dad, who also happens to be my hero, mentor, and best friend. I love you, dad.

Here are some pithy Father’s Day quotes:

“To be a successful father… there’s one absolute rule: when you have a kid, don’t look at it for the first two years.” -- Ernest Hemingway

“A man knows when he is growing old because he begins to look like his father.” -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

“If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated, let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right.” -- Bill Cosby

“It is a wise father that knows his own child.” -- William Shakespeare (especially if the mother is Anna Nicole)

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." – Mark Twain

“By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.” -- Charles Wadsworth

And finally, a salute to Screaming Jay Hawkins. Screaming Jay was a r&b/blues singer. His big hit was “I Put a Spell on You” in which he came out of a coffin. The man was a crowd pleaser. And also a lady pleaser it seems. Upon his death when it was time to divvy up the estate it was discovered he had 57 children. Screaming Jay will not be saluted on Planned Parenthood day.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. Note to wives and daughters: Dad wants tickets to the ballgame today, not a lovely brunch.

6 comments :

Unknown said...

If anyone believes they may have sprung forth from Screamin' Jay's loins...I believe there is a website out there somewhere trying to track them all down. The number may be more like 75.

Anonymous said...

My dad, being a huge Franki Valli and the Four Seasons fan, is getting a CD album, a DVD of the group, and tonight, after Jerry's Deli I hope, we four (my sister and mom too) are going to the Ahmanson to see Jersey Boys. Best father's day plan we've come up with in years!

Anonymous said...

Frankie, I meant, of course, and it really does look weird spelled "Franki."

Anonymous said...

"Dad wants tickets to the ballgame today, not a lovely brunch."

I got what I wanted from my family: a lovely brunch. By myself.

Anonymous said...

I wanted tickets to the ballgame, and my son offered to buy them (well, at least to drive to Dodger Stadium). But it was a sellout. Dang.

dance-with-wind said...

My father like to pick up my phone.