Wednesday, February 09, 2011

I am leaving Dodger Talk


Due to too many conflicts with my Mariners' schedule, I will be stepping down as co-host of Dodger Talk on KABC.  It just isn't fair to the Dodgers or listeners to be gone as much as I would be.  However, there's a strong likelihood that I will continue to contribute to Dodger Talk -- features and whatnot -- so I'm not totally gone.

Leaving is bittersweet.  I will miss a lot of things, but most of all, working with Josh Suchon.  He's truly the best partner a guy could ask for.  People always said how good we sound together, how much we seemed to really like each other.  That's because we genuinely do.  Josh is a great broadcaster and friend.  And knows more baseball than half the team.

The dude who will be replacing me is great.  Joe Block.  Dodger fans will love him.  And he knows more about baseball than the other half of the team.

My sincere thanks to KABC and the Dodgers for the last three years.  And most of all to you listeners.  You guys are truly great.  You know more than the manager.  At least you say you do.  But seriously, you've been incredibly kind and informed and passionate.  I can't thank you enough.  It was a pleasure talking to you every night.

And remember, I'm not going to Rangoon.  If you're at Dodger Stadium this season, look for me.  I'll still be around a lot.

24 comments :

David said...

Sigh. At least we have you on the blog, but I'll miss you on the radio. End of an era.

Ebolaboi said...

Thank you! You will be missed. When I go to the games with my dad he has you guys on. So insightful, witty and smart! Best of luck!
-Roque

Bill H. said...

Best of Luck to you Ken. I was hoping that this would not be the case, but "Que Sera, Sera". Enjoy Seattle. Don't be a stranger.

M's Fan Brian said...

Sorry you're leaving your gig with the Dodgers, but I'm really glad you're going to be doing Mariners games! P.S. - drop any Emmy's lately?

Len said...

LA's loss is Seattle's gain, but your Dodger blood runs deep and blue.

Thanks for a terrific three years giving us the best baseball post-game show in the majors.

Janice said...

I used to listen to Dodger Talk as much for you as anything else. I will miss you.

bean@KROQ.com said...

Ken,

I'd love to take you to lunch this season and talk
radio and baseball with you if you get some free time in Seattle.

Best,

Bean

Max Clarke said...

Bad news, a Dodgers loss before the season starts...

...but we'll always have Rangoon.

Wil said...

Boooo! Listening to you and Josh after the games was a perfect balance of Dodgers, humor and baseball. It's all that keeps us sane after listening to some of the crazy callers. Gonna miss ya Ken! Best of luck!

Roger Carroll said...

Dave would have been very happy to know you will be joining the Mariners so am I you are the best. You will always be that very bright skinny kid I worked with at KMPC rc

Howard Hoffman said...

(standing ovation)

Brian said...

I always thought it was cool that a writer from my favorite show of all time(Cheers) was doing Dodger talk. We'll miss you and good luck with the Mariners!

P.S. If you take Bean up on that lunch offer, don't let him suggest the place, he might take you to Denny's!

Cap'n Bob said...

I wondered how you were going to handle both jobs. Glad the M's came out ahead on the deal. Lunch, hell. I'll buy you dinner while you're in town. T-town, that is.

Sunshine Vitamin said...

It was a pleasure listening, sometimes far more enjoyable than the game itself. Best wishes with the Mariners.

My favorite local place for lunch in Seattle: the ferry. You can't beat the view.

cp said...

Welcome back to Seattle. Yep Dave would be happy that you'll be back in the booth. I look forward to hearing you.

Michael said...

Joe Block used to run a website about sportscasting and has worked really hard at his craft, so I'm glad he's getting this opportunity. We're sorry to lose you, but it's also a great opportunity for you to revisit the Mariners.

Charles H. Bryan said...

I really enjoyed listening to you and Josh on those Dodger Talk podcasts this year -- and the two of you made this Michigander a bit of a Dodger fan.

So, I'll miss you there, but I'll listen to the Mariners games.

Mike Barer said...

Great to steal one from the men in blue! Now if you could bring some decent players with you...

Phil Hamilton said...

Hey, Ken, the M's have been less than forthcoming with estimates of what sort of schedule the "Carnival of Broadcasters" will be maintaining with Rizzs. Do you have any idea of how many games you'll be doing this season?

Jon Badeaux said...

LA's loss is Seattle's gain! I look forward to having you here in the Emerald City, Ken.

VP81955 said...

You probably won't be doing much traveling, but I sure hope you'll be with the Mariners' crew for their series in Washington in June.

iain said...

Ken,

Please do post your "travel" schedule when possible. It would be great if you were in Cleveland for the M's vs Tribe games on either May 13-15 (the snow should be all melted) or Aug 22-24 (lake fly season!).

Either way, it should be a preview of the ALCS!

legal step said...

You will be missed. Listening to you guys was one of my favorite late night driving things to do. Good luck to you.

AAllen said...

Heard Ken's first appearance in Spring Training today. They said he will do 30 games this season, and Wednesday night's Spring Training game