Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Thus begins the Holiday Season

Okay, you can put up your Christmas lights now.

Allright, you can start playing Christmas music on the radio.

It’s safe to cart out Charlie Brown’s Christmas again.

Studios are free to unleash their big holiday tentpole releases.

Take that bottle away from Santa and send him out to the center of the mall.

The tree can go up at Rockefeller Center.

You can open the ice skating rink now.

The Radio City Holiday Show can now officially open. Please close it by March.

Bring on the baseball winter meetings.

It’s still not okay for CBS to colorize and air classic black-and-white sitcoms, but that’s another story.

Networks prepare for their live musicals. Too bad the novelty has worn off. And Christopher Walken isn’t playing the dad in A CHRISTMAS STORY for Fox.

Hollywood officially shuts down until January. The only business that gets done now is firing known celebrities and executives charged with sexual harassment. And of course their shocked reactions.

Travel today becomes an absolute nightmare. If it happens to snow a quarter-inch in Seattle, all flights in and out of O’Hare are cancelled till January. 

Frantic cooking is taking place. People all over America are making that string bean casserole with Campbell’s Mushroom Soup. (“Why?” I ask.)

And finally, it’s time to stop and give thanks to all the people and things in your life that you’re grateful for. In my case, I start with you.

Travel safe this holiday weekend.

11 comments :

The Bumble Bee Pendant said...

thankful for all the great posts, remarks and threads made by everyone on this site. Gobble Gobble everyone!

Peter said...

I wonder what Thanksgiving will be like in the Lasseter household.

Is there ANY man in Hollywood who isn't a "hands-on" kinda guy?! Yeesh. And if the allegations about him regarding Rashida Jones are true, then his "sabbatical" from Disney should be made permanent.

Otherwise, Happy Thanksgiving to you all in the US.

Dan Reese said...

Re: colorizing The Dick Van Dyke Show— if Carl is ok with it, then so am I. It’s his show. And if that’s what it takes to expose a classic to new viewers and a new generation, then go for it.

YEKIMI said...

Thanksgiving......where the only bird I get anymore is an extended middle finger.

VP81955 said...

Have a good Thanksgiving, everyone! And to all not having turkey dinner with your family, perhaps I'll see you at the 3rd & Fairfax Du-par's.

Bob B. said...

Love Christmas. Trees went up Nov 1. Been playing Christmas songs in car and on piano since early October. Thanksgiving is just an eating day. I don't need the calendar to tell me when to be thankful. Every time I draw some oxygen in I am thankful.

Barefoot Billy Aloha said...

Best wishes to all...

Stop the Casserole said...

Regarding the salt bomb known as green bean casserole, I wholeheartedly agree with your "Why?". Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a bean pole, but I make it, as it costs about $6 and 10 minutes of my time, is presumably preferable to hunger (others can chime in on this), and my relatives with less discerning palates seem to enjoy it.

Rory L. Aronsky said...

Yes! Time to pull out Christmas Vacation, put it in my DVD player and not let it out until AT LEAST January 22nd! Why January 22nd? Because I've been waiting through this interminable November for when it would finally be appropriate.

Any Christmas movie where a SWAT team breaks into the house at the end is my kind of Christmas movie.

Dave Wrighteous said...

Thanks for the thanks, Ken, but if there's any thanking to be thanked, it's me thanking you. Your wonderful, funny, insightful, educational blog is something I look forward to each day, so thanks a hell of a lot for keeping it going. You. RULE!

Keith Nichols said...

When I was kid in a small Midwestern town, the advent of Campbell's mushroom soup galvanized local chefs like a mycological miracle. Every entrée was doused in the stuff, and it's still a favorite ingredient in my family. The other notable rage was the Presto pressure cooker, by which the toughest cuts of meat could be rendered melt-in-your-mouth tender and which left beef stains on kitchen ceilings all over town as housewives uncapped their cookers before the pressure was released.