Sunday, June 17, 2018

Happy Father's Day

This is kind of a tough one for me since it's the first Father's Day I no longer have my father.  But I cherish the memories.  And send a special salute to my son Matt who has been a dad (and terrific one at that) for two years now. 

This is a perennial post, now updated.

Note to those wives and kids planning to celebrate: no brunches. That’s Mother’s Day stuff. Let the old man sit in front of the TV and watch the U.S. Open or the Arena football amateur draft in peace.

Or watch FIELD OF DREAMS.And now, as a public service, here are some movies NOT to watch on Father’s Day:

FEAR STRIKES OUT
CHINATOWN
SHINE
WALK THE LINE
OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN
DEAD POETS SOCIETY
STAR WARS
THE GREAT SANTINI
THE SHINING

Some TV shows and telefilms NOT to watch:

THE MARVIN GAYE STORY
THE BEACH BOYS STORY
LOST
Any CBS family comedy

Some unfriendly father plays:

ALL MY SONS
DEATH OF A SALESMAN (any Arthur Miller, actually)
LONG DAY’S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT

Some books to avoid:

Any Bing Crosby biography
Any Frank Sinatra biography
Any Papa John Phillips biography 
Any Screaming Jay Hawkins biography
LOVE STORY (for so many reasons)

Records to skip:

PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE by the Temptations
BOY NAMED SUE by Johnny Cash
MY DAD by Paul Peterson
CATS IN THE CRADLE by Harry Chapin

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Again, happy Father's Day!

20 comments :

Anonymous said...

"My Dad" is a great record.

Bryan said...

DO play "My Old Man" by the Zac Brown Band.

Janet Ybarra said...

You are too modest to mention yourself, so I'll say: Happy Father's Day to you, Ken!

tavm said...

Songs about dads worth listening to on Father's Day:

"Everything I Own"-Bread (I just found out David Gates wrote and sung this song about his late dad)
"Dance with My Father"-Luther Vandross
"The Living Years"-Mike + the Mechanics
"Leader of the Band"-Dan Fogelberg
"Landslide"-Fleetwood Mac (the version that begins when Stevie Nicks says, "This is for you, Daddy")
"Ships"-Barry Manilow (I'd also recommend the original version by Ian Hunter who wrote it)

ScarletNumber said...

Kevin Can Wait was a CBS comedy.

Mike Bloodworth said...

Random thoughts: I lost my father when I was six. So, I only have fleeting memories of him. I'm glad you had a good relationship with your dad. I know a lot of people that haven't.
Another "not," THE STEPFATHER.
When you said "STAR WARS" did you mean, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK?
Don't forget World Cup Soccer. The U.S.A. didn't make it this time. Regardless, I'm guessing that due to Trump-Backlash many will be rooting for Mexico. (SPOILER ALERT! They won this morning)
Finally, I've met your daughter. You did an excellent job.
Happy Father's Day, Ken.
M.B.

Y. Knott said...

Another song to avoid: "So Long Dad" by Randy Newman.

(Actually Manfred Mann did the original before Randy got around to recording his own tune. So did Liza Minelli! Harry Nilsson covered it too.)

Thomas Mossman said...

Do listen to My Old Man by the Smothers Brothers.

Anonymous said...

Groucho Marx sings Ruby and Kalmar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV9Rh4ynBf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Dt9q8bkqg

Shaun S said...

Father And Son by Cat Stevens.

71dude said...

Do listen to Love Without End Amen by George Strait.
Don't listen to Emotionless by Good Charlotte.
Do watch The Middle.
Don't watch The Goldbergs.

Loosehead said...

tavm - The Living Years always brings me to tears. My dad died suddenly, years ago, in his sleep, so I never had the chance to say goodbye, or thank you, or any of a thousand and one other things.

Kevin from VA said...

It's an oldie, but for Father's Day, "Oh! My Papa" the most famous version by Eddie Fisher

Janet Ybarra said...

I always thought of "Cats in the Cradle" as kind of the ultimate "barometer" song.

If you are a dad doing better than the dad in this song you should be proud of yourself. Otherwise, you really need to reevaluate your relationship with your kid(s).

gottacook said...

I don't know "So Long Dad," but I do know the early Randy Newman track "Old Man", also addressed to the singer's dad; I first heard it on Art Garfunkel's 1973 solo LP. Rather a downer, too.

Cap'n Bob said...

I like "My Dad," too. So what if it's schmaltzy?

Brian Phillips said...

Patches by Clarence Carter - Dad passes away, Dad's dying words are the chorus, crops get washed away...and then things get tough.

Portrait of a Step-Daddy - Calvin Arnold. A very obscure Soul oldie that accuses the Stepfather of being "narrow-hearted and so one-sided", plus there is one line that implies that he sexually abuses the singer's sister.

Anonymous said...

A good Father's Day Song - Color Him Father by The Winstons, 1969.

Edward said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
msdemos said...

.


"Let the old man sit in front of the TV and watch the U.S. Open or the Arena football amateur draft in peace."


Probably one of the funniest things I've read in at least the last 5 minutes! That 'Arena football draft' bit is genius, and probably explains why you've been able to do what you've done for so long, and so well!!

Thank you for that.......oh, and all the other GREAT 'junk' of yours that I've enjoyed for so many years!!

.