Saturday, September 04, 2021

Weekend Post

 I once related the story of my partner and I attending an awards ceremony looking like idiots in matching brown tuxedos and peach ruffled shirts. But that is not to suggest that I don't normally dress extremely well. In fact, I was in GQ.

No. Really.

Honest.

I’m serious.

Somehow GQ magazine got wind of my going off to Syracuse in 1988 to announce minor league baseball. They decided to do an article about me. My wife is still laughing. “You in GQ?”

I did the phone interview with Ron Powers who wrote the piece. Then I got a call from their photographer. They wanted to take pictures of me that Friday at a local baseball stadium. I said fine. The photographer then wanted to know what I’d be wearing. I said I didn’t know. This was only Monday and my mom usually doesn’t pick out my clothes until the night before. He asked my measurements and said he would bring something. Now I was a little pissed off. Just because I was a writer did he automatically assume I was a schlump? I can't believe he saw me on DON KIRSCHNER'S ROCK AWARDS. I told him I would bring my own wardrobe. Obviously his concern was not assuaged. He asked if I’d bring a selection.

I’m the same height and size as Ted Danson. The next day I went to the CHEERS wardrobe guy and asked if I could borrow some Sam Malone shirts and slacks.

Friday afternoon I hooked up with the photographer. I think I was wearing a torn t-shirt. There was already a lump in his throat. I opened my trunk and let him examine my selection. The accompanying picture is a well...an approximation. His eyes almost popped out. “Jesus, this is great stuff!” he said, astonished. “Any one of these would be perfect.” “Well YEAH,” I said as if it couldn't be more obvious. “It might surprise you to learn that most television writers are total fashion hounds. Much of the time in writers rooms is spent discussing men’s haberdashery.”

I accepted his apology and hoped that he had a new respect for how writers really felt about wardrobe.

He went off to set up his camera while I put one of the shirts on, glad that he didn’t see the “Property of Paramount Pictures” tag that was still on the sleeve.

The article came out August 1988. I see my shirt all the time in reruns.

8 comments :

Michael said...

Really, you should have gotten a Lindsey Nelson jacket.

Mike Bloodworth said...

This is one of those times when you should have posted a picture of Natalie Wood.

M.B.

Fred said...

Now, the way I heard it, as an inevitable consequence, Mr Levine wound up living a double life with a near-sighted Mary Steenburgen

Lemuel said...

I remember a BARNEY MILLER where Levitt got the chance to work plainclothes and ended up using a rented tux complete with cummerbund.

kent said...

Next time consider the mariachi look sported by Joe Kelly at the White House this year.

Jahn Ghalt said...

Did GQ NOT publish your photo?

This is not exactly the "Cover of the Rolling Stone" - but didn't you (or the wife) keep the issue?

DyHrdMET said...

Is there a link to your GQ article (or at least the accompanying photograph)?

MikeN said...

Did GQ publish that writers are serious about fashion?