Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Teenage Fair


Here's another excerpt from my new book, THE ME GENERATION... BY ME (GROWING UP IN THE '60s).   You can get yours in Kindle or paperback.   It's a fun read and a great way to support this blog so I'm not forced to sell fruit at freeway offramps. 


The Hollywood Palladium was an art deco theater built in the’40s in Hollywood to stage big band concerts. In the ’60s it was the spring break home of the Teenage Fair. The Palladium inside and outside was filled with exhibits and booths. Guitars on display, decals, flyers, motorcycles, dance contests, electronic equipment, cosmetics, surfing demonstrations, radio remotes, record racks, and live concerts. Meanwhile, on the side of the building there was a large billboard showcasing Nana Lil’s favorite -- Lawrence Welk and his Champagne Music Makers, complete with bubbles that were supposed to ascend from a champagne flute but instead appeared to come from his nose.

I wanted to bring a date but the two-hour bus ride each way was a problem for those princesses.

I’m guessing the fair was a lot more happening at 10:00 on Friday and Saturday nights. But at noon on a Tuesday it was pretty dead. In ten minutes I was already bored. So I meandered past the drug paraphernalia exhibit and adjacent Army recruiting booth (yes, I recognized the irony even back then) to see which superstar was performing in the main room. It was a couple and they were god-awful. No wonder they were booked for the lunch hour. She was this scrawny Goth chick and he was this middle-aged goomba with a huge schnoz, a Beatle haircut, and a fur vest. Luigi Flintstone & Morticia. She at least could sing. He sounded like an ambulance siren. There were maybe eight of us watching this pathetic display, convinced that these were the two biggest losers on the planet. On the other hand, I can say I discovered Sonny & Cher.

11 comments :

Mike Botula said...

OK, awready. I've bought your book. I had planned to buy it when you first pitched, but then I lost my Kindle. Yikes! Finally, the frustration got me and I've downloaded it onto my PC. It's a great read, Ken. Hope you sell a gazillion of them.

Cornellius McGillicudy said...

Ibid! Now if you could only get those #@!king Mariners going! Can you pitch? Yes, I've read your book so I know the answer. Can Rick pitch anything besides ads? How's your next book progressing?

Cap'n Bob said...

I understand the need for promotion so I'm more tolerant. But I have the Kindle version and enjoyed it mightily so you're preaching to the choir here. By the way, my first novel, LOVE, DEATH AND THE TOYMAN, is also available on Kindle. Only $3.00.

Paul Duca said...

As future SOPRANOS main man David Chase said in an episode of THE ROCKFORD FILES..."Fur vests died out when Sonny Bono went network".

Brent said...

Hi Ken, good to hear you again on the radio. Not too enthused about the outcome of the game last night, but I'm not one of those shoot the messenger guys.

Dwight Perry of The Seattle Times had a quote in his column today I think you'd love.

A's pitcher and L.A. native Brandon McCarthy, via Twitter, in response to a survey asking which two living people he'd pick to broadcast a game: "Vin Scully and someone to get him water."

For me, a kid who grew up a Giants fan with a dislike for anything Dodger, Vin trancends the rivalry through sheer brilliance.

edprofret said...

What did they change the name to?

Breadbaker said...

Ken, or should I call you Clem, you and Ricky, or Spike, had me laughing out loud driving down the highway listening to tonight's broadcast.

Johnny Walker said...

I finally picked up my copy. Looking forward to reading it!

Mitch said...

I just finished reading your Valley book. Lots of laughs in it, and a lot of truth. I've been recommending your book to friends.

RCP said...

Allow me to highly recommend Ken's book. Funny, wise, and just plain irresistible. Of course, I'm only on page 44.

The Ames Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.