Saturday, February 01, 2014

AMERICAN HUSTLE meets Beaver Cleaver

This is an aircheck of me as Beaver Cleaver my first night on WXLO (99X) in New York. June 1, 1978. At the time I was also on the air on KTNQ (TenQ) in Los Angeles. I was just filling in on 99X. Oh, and I was co-head writer of MASH at the time too. But I thought this aircheck had been lost forever (maybe it should have been). It was during my celebrated "out of my mind" period. The station style was high energy so that's what I was, by God. Not the best approach for someone who doesn't have a voice like James Earl Jones.

But I always had fun on the radio. And never prepared. Some jocks would spend hours compiling their ad libs. I figured if I couldn't think of one funny thing to say every three minutes then there was something wrong. Of course, the downside of that is not every joke worked. But hopefully enough did.

With all the disc jockeys of the day sounding exactly alike with interchangeable names, I wanted to stand out -- be entertaining and even a little perplexing.

Thanks to Matt Steinberg and Airchexx.com for digging up this goofy show and posting it.  (Now if I were Quentin Tarantino I'd sue.) 

Here's the link to the broadcast.  Note:  the aircheck has been "scoped."  This means the songs have been cut out.  You can hear a five hour show in 40 minutes.   So head back to the days of AMERICAN HUSTLE and Crazy Eddie. 

9 comments :

benson said...

When I die, I want your life to flash before my eyes, Ken.

You know that aircheck is quite good.
I can imagine the PD crapping his pants when you starting singing the temperature ("Seventy-seven"). Were you and GBR guy friends at that point?

Too Funny. Thanks for the new memories.

Barefoot Billy Aloha said...

Yay! Always great to hear an artist color outside the lines!

Formats are meant to be broken.

Great fun!

Ron Rettig said...

Ken, Did you happen to connect with former co-Reservist Joel Siegel, WABC film critic, while in the NYC?

Loosehead said...

I'm with you on Lindsay Wagner.

Breadbaker said...

You know what really dates this? The phone number given is just seven digits.

Craig Russell said...

As always Benson says it best!

You sound alot like Jo Jo "Cookin" Kincade, of Q106 San Deigo and most recently Q105 Tampa. Vocally that is. And energy wise, you both were from the same mold.

So did Any other MASH staffers do High energy Top 40 radio back when the show was on? I can just hear DOS screaming over the Bee Gees...;)

Famous! said...

Ken baby, this is not a "rant". This is a "GUSH"!

I have always maintained that, pound-for-pound, 99X was the finest damned radio station New York ever had. Never worked there; came close; know lotsa folks who did; but later did work here in NYC with Jay Thomas at JAMMIN.

I don't know which was cooler: you, getting to do shifts on 99X, or 99X, getting the opportunity to have "Beaver Cleaver" molest the brains of New York City! Despite the legendary teevee for which you became, uh, famous... Radio's Beaver Cleaver, dude, KILLED... LOVED yerass on KCBQ, 10-Q, etc...

I just happily sat through a very long aircheck, and was transported to a time when Radio not only didn't suck donkey dick... it was actually GREAT! The jock was the nonstop, whacked-out emcee at the world's hairiest frat party. Nowadays, UBADJ? Then, get used to recapping some lame reality or awards show, in 12 seconds or less, at the end of a music sweep, three times an hour (aargh!).

And may I simply add: I don' wan' no malted... I wanna DANCE! (your lightning-fast asides... what a HOOT!).

Jay Walker said...

Ken it's always great to hear your show. I was on the air in the 70's and hung up the cans in the late 90's to pick up a soldering iron since engineers always seemed to be furthest from the suction caused by the revolving door. I always enjoy hearing your energy and one liners. Your work from B-100 and TenQ was radio gold. Thankfully you've also proved there is life after radio. The business is NOTHING at all like it was during the "heyday" from the 70's through the early 90's. Once deregulation kicked in radio was doomed. But it still is a real treat to hear the passion, and energy that once was the hallmark of Top 40 radio...By the way is Buzz Bennett still around? I don't think even he could rescue radio these days. I've not heard a thing from him since his last gig in Dallas...
Best wishes and continued success to you sir and thank you for the education in both radio and writing.
Jay Walker ex WLS-FM, KEGL, CBS etc etc...

Anonymous said...

Oh Ken...this takes me back to when I actually listened to regular radio....I used to love certain DJ's and the groove..and the spark they have..Now, most of them are just robots..or if their voice is distinctive, it's like nails on a chalkboard....
I'm getting old when radio is not the dreamworld I thought of as a kid.
(Message from my Mom..She watches MASH on ME TV every night..and laughs the hardest at the episodes you and David have written..She wanted me to tell you that)