Saturday, March 05, 2022

Weekend Post -- Farrah Forke

So sorry to hear of the passing of Farrah Forke.  She was in 35 episodes of WINGS when I was consulting.  Always pleasant, always professional, always delivered.  An absolute pleasure.  

I didn’t know her that well.  But do have one Farrah Forke story.  

After she left WINGS she had a recurring part on LOIS & CLARK.  I would watch that show with my kids.  Annie was about 8 or 9.  In one episode they kill off Farrah’s character — a car bomb I believe.  It seemed uncharacteristically harsh and violent for a show that billed itself as a comic book/romantic comedy.  

Anyway, Annie was very very upset.  So much so that I called Farrah and asked her to speak to my daughter.  She did.  She got on the phone and was super nice and consoling, assuring Annie that she was fine and it was only make believe.  I’m sure that on an intellectual level Annie knew that it was not real, but actually hearing Farrah’s voice reassured her considerably.  

And that was Farrah.  Always happy to help.

She had moved to Texas to raise her twins, which is why you haven’t seen her lately.  I always thought she had the look and presence that would allow her to age gracefully and keep getting good parts.  One day she would come back and Hollywood would welcome her with open arms.  54 is way too young.  And she was just so talented.  And nice.  

Now I’m the one upset.  Oh, how I wish that phone would ring. 

13 comments :

memocartoonist said...

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend.

When I was around 8 or so, my older sister, Lynn, was in a high school production of "Blithe Spirit". She played the maid, Edith, who, at one point, is injured by an attack by the ghost haunting the house. They refer to Edith as being 'upstairs' and so, as an 8 year old does, that's where I last pictured her. Then, at the end of the show, both ghosts fight and tear down the house. I was panicked that "Edith" was still in the house and would be hurt further. I knew, of course, it was a play, but the magic of storytelling is very powerful.

Mike Barer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Barer said...

I had not heard of her but that was a very sweet story.

Mike Chimeri said...

So, that's why someone asked about her yesterday. I loved her as Alex on Wings. My condolences to you.

John H said...

That was beautiful Ken. I am sorry for your loss.

Bob Sassone said...

I played pool with Farrah Forke at the Hollywood Athletic Club in 1994. I was an extra on the Debbie Reynolds episode of Wings. What's funny is that she wasn't even on the show at the time, she had left earlier that season. We just happened to run into her at the club. She was extremely nice and friendly.

(She won, by the way.)

tavm said...

Here's two more TV show-related deaths that just happened: Tim Considine of "My Three Sons" and Johnny Brown of "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" and "Good Times".

powers said...

I enjoyed watching Farrah on Wings and was sorry to see her leave the show.

Saw her on the 1995 science fiction made-for-TV movie "Journey to the Center of the Earth." The movie also served as a pilot but was never picked up.

Kirk said...

Nice tribute.

Kevin FitzMaurice said...

According to The New York Times obituary, Ms. Forke, born in 1968, was named for Farrah Fawcett, who was not yet famous but was a family friend. How tragic that both women were destined to succumb to cancer.

Brian said...

Sorry to hear. Enjoyed watching her on Wings and was disappointed when she left. She was young - make you think about life.

Wendy M. Grossman said...

I liked her in the short-lived series DWEEBS.

wg

Sami said...

I saw in an episode of Ned and Stacey that I was watching on dvd recently. She was funny and beautiful as the guest star and seemed familiar so I looked her up on Imdb. I realized she was that girl I enjoyed watching on Wings so many years ago--and that she had passed away from cancer the day before. I am so sorry forvher family.