Saturday, December 11, 2021

Weekend Post

Of the many movie lots I was fortunate to work at, 20th Century Fox was probably my favorite.

Especially during MASH.

Back then I drove into the studio past the New York street built for HELLO DOLLY. Today there are office buildings. Goodbye Dolly. I drove past the MASH stage (9) – actually I raced past the MASH stage so I wouldn’t be stopped by an actor who had a script question. My parking space was in the old western town square used for BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID. I was mere steps from the whorehouse.

Our office was in “the Old Writers Building”. And that was before I was one. It was a two story Swiss chalet, featured in BABES IN TOYLAND and any other film that had elves. Supposedly, our office on the second floor once belonged to F. Scott Fitzgerald. Zelda’s empty gin bottles were still behind the couch so it must be true.

There was always filming going on. CHARLIE’S ANGELS were there every other week. I guess the angels broke up a lot Swiss drug rings. But I’d walk out of the building and there would be Jackie Smith in a tight jump suit pointing a gun at me. This is why I wanted to be a writer, by the way.

The Old Writers Building still exists but western town is a memory, replaced by trailers. Jackie Smith can still get into that jumpsuit so that’s pretty cool.

The commissary was in the PEYTON PLACE town square. Remember the white gazebo? That was still there. Not anymore. Replaced by a massive parking structure.

What is now Century City used to just be part of the 20th Century Fox lot. But they lost so much money on CLEOPATRA that they had to sell some of it off. But in the late 70s a good portion still remained. There was a private bridge over Olympic Blvd that led to a back lot where a ton of scenery was stored. My partner and I would walk to Century City for lunch past several of the original STAR WARS sets.

Today the bridge is gone as is the back lot. There is a large office building and a parking structure. (“Pave paradise, and put up a parking lot”) The STAR WAR sets are in the Smithsonian or some prop guy’s den. They would have been in my den if I were smart back then.

A trip to the prop building was like a day in the greatest Hollywood museum ever. Priceless props were just collecting dust. Yul Brynner’s belt buckle from THE KING AND I was even there! Why didn’t I steal that too?! I am such an idiot!

Every afternoon we could watch dailies. The screening room was right behind Commissioner Gordon’s office from the TV version of BATMAN. Remember how the Batmobile would park right in front of the building and Batman and Robin would bound up the stairs? On the other side of the façade was probably the producers watching the Julie Newmar in her cat suit from the day before.

And all of this was before even going on our set and watching them film scenes that are still being shown today.

It was a golden time that I cherish now and happy to say, recognized and appreciated at the time. Dream factories were more dreams and less factories. When I have occasion to drive onto the lot today I usually pass by the former site of the old western town and think of that great exchange in BUTCH CASSIDY.

BUTCH: What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.
GUARD: People kept robbing it.
BUTCH: Small price to pay for beauty.

 

16 comments :

The Time Machine said...

Great read to kick off my weekend. Mahalo for sharing your memories. :-)

kent said...

What a great post.
Thanks.

Alan Light said...

Gotham City Police Headquarters from the TV "Batman" is in Burbank. It's still there, too. I don't recognize that building in the photo with the Batmobile parked in front of it. Anytime a scene took place at Gotham City Police Headquarters on the 1960s television series Batman, the Dynamic Duo would be shown running up the steps of the lot’s Embassy Courthouse, aka Building 61. In actuality, only one establishing shot of the structure was ever taken. Eagle-eyed viewers will notice that the same footage was shown over and over again throughout the show’s three-season run. The stately courthouse façade was originally constructed in 1928.

DBenson said...

Are you sure about the building being in Laurel and Hardy's "Babes in Toyland"? The film looks like it was shot entirely on sound stages. A few years later Stan and Ollie did "Swiss Miss" set in a Swiss village that featured exteriors. A picture would be nice.

maxdebryn said...

I once sent a short story that I had written to Julie Newmar. I received a handwritten replay a few weeks later and swooned when she wrote that she loved my story, and asked what publication I worked for (I have never worked for any publication, though I had a letter that I wrote to films and filming published when I was twelve). I quite enjoyed your splendid post, Ken.

Chuck said...

Nice blog for a Saturday read. The one studio facade that I would most like to see is the Bewitched house. I'd like to stand in front of it and take a picture. Something I could keep. Buy a little frame. Something cheap. Surprising that it's still standing. It shows up in TV shows and movies now and then.

Leighton said...

The Bewitched house is at the old Warners Bros. Ranch, recently sold. Not sure if the famous back-lot street will survive. Warners is going to then lease it from the new owners, with brand new sound stages. Being that they recently moved the famous "Friends" fountain to the main Warner lot, who knows. (That fountain goes back to the years when the site was Columbia Ranch.) I'm guessing that the famous backlot street will get leveled. (The Blondie home is there..."I Dream of Jeanie"..."Partridge Family"...etc. The street was most recently used for the Disney+ series, "Wandavision.")

Leighton said...

By the way, the "Bewitched" facade is based on an actual home used for the original "Gidget" films. (But the facade is in "reverse.") Later, you see the facade in several of the "Gidget" TV SERIES episodes! The original home is in Santa Monica.

The same Warner Ranch street has the "Blondie" house. IT is a replica of the Burbank home used in the first five "Blondie" films, until the studio decided it would be easier to have a copy on the-then Columbia lot.

It gets very confusing.

At Universal, they have a famous residential street. Check out this extended Lowe's commercial from several years ago, filmed there, then guess what the two houses originated as...

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AgGm/lowes-house-love

(Yep, the Beaver Cleaver home, with The Munsters across the street!)

Gary said...

The interior of the Bewitched home is very obviously used in the classic TV movie "Brian's Song."

Mitch said...

I spent a lot of time as a kid goofing around on that lot. My uncle was a staff musician there for 25 years. I have a studio phone directory from the 1940s that reads like a Who's Who of Who Was. When they were shooting Hello Dolly I walked onto the lot at 4 a.m. with the extras (and an 8mm movie camera) and when the sun came up I shot six rolls of film, including the parade. The last time I was there was for a Christmas party about three years ago. It was a big carnival. That time I used an iPhone.

ScarletNumber said...

> I was mere steps from the whorehouse

Not the first time, I'm sure...

Kevin FitzMaurice said...

The "Bewitched" house and living room "magically" became Gale Sayers's home in the 1971 version of "Brian's Song."

Jim, Cheers Fan said...

What is now Century City used to just be part of the 20th Century Fox lot. But they lost so much money on CLEOPATRA that they had to sell some of it off.
fascinating. I remember reading that Taylor asked for a million dollars to do the part because she never thought they'd agree to it, and it was the first time an actor was paid seven figures

for some reason, this post made me think of Mel Brooks' story about Cary Grant inviting him to lunch every day until they had absolutely run out of things to talk about, and after, and googling to see if it was on the 20C lot, I found you told that story here on the blog a while back, with your own funny story about Mel Brooks

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2017/03/hanging-out-with-mel-brooks.html

with a bonus Tim Conway-Cary Grant story in the comments

Norm said...

I had the same type of experience working at Walt Disney Studios in Burbank.

When I first started in 1986, the entire back lots with all those houses seen in Flubber, Absent-Minded Professor, etc. were all still there. Even the ZORRO lot was alive and what a trip it was to drive by it every day to my "trailer."

By the time I left in 1994, ALL of that was gone, replaced by new office buildings and parking lots as well.

DyHrdMET said...

I have a FQ for you. I'm watching an older sitcom (Golden Girls), and they have the opening credits with a memorable theme song and short clips from taped episodes of each character as they show each actor's name. I know it's not done today, nor was it done on every show, but back in the day when it was a thing, whose job was it to put that together, picking out the different head shots to use (assuming they have a theme song picked out and know how much time is allocated to the montage)? Is it harder than it looks to go through recent episodes each season to find just the right shots to include in a montage like that? I am watching an early season 1 episode and the montage already exists. At what point in time would they pull that together to use when the show debuts?

Jeff Maxwell said...

I loved the Fox commissary. Beautiful mural of Fox history on the wall. Pretty good food. Doris, my favorite waitress, had been there since the invention of film. Crusty but friendly, voice like Danny Trejo. I saw Cary Grant there. Most beautiful man I’ve ever seen. It was great watching icons shoving food in their mouthes just like me. But Cary looked better doing it.