Monday, December 20, 2021

Where were you in May, 2012?

I try to do this once a month now.  Since readers rarely go back into the archives (and I've done well over 6,000 posts), I thought I'd re-post Friday Questions from many years ago.  This one is from May 2012.  Some of the answers I give are still valid.  


71dude is first up.

Were you and David invited to work on the "MASH" finale?

No. But at the time we were co-producing CHEERS and they had a very large staff at MASH.  We didn't feel slighted in the least.   Had we been asked we wouldn't have been able to do it. 

The way that final MASH script was written was fascinating. It got broken down into half-hour portions and divided up among the writers or teams of writers. Those writers would then co-write their section with Alan Alda. And trust me, that final episode was long enough without adding another half hour for me and David.

Jim S. asks:

Have you ever called a game that went down in the history books? What's it like to call a game that has the potential to make history. Are you more nervous, do you get charged up more? (I guess that's like 18 questions, but you get my point?)

I’ve called two no-hitters, the last game at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, the first game at Jacobs Field in Cleveland, the Padres winning a division championship, a triple-play, a balk-off win, and was there the day Glenn Davis made three errors on the same play. Talk about a “bobble” head.

I’m both charged and nervous. The beauty of baseball is that those big moments are deliciously suspenseful (except the Glenn Davis one) so I always feel my job is to just describe what’s happening and let the drama take care of itself. I try not to get too excited or hype the situation too much.

When I called the first game at Jacobs Field (now Progressive Field) I was alone on the radio for the Mariners describing the scene – all the pregame pomp and circumstance, President Clinton throwing out the first pitch, the stadium decorations, presentations, etc. Little did I know, CBS radio picked up our feed and I was actually broadcasting worldwide on the CBS radio network and the Armed Forces Radio Service. Thank God I didn’t know. I probably would have been so petrified I’d sound like Porky Pig.

From Jim S. to James P.:

In re-watching Cheers, I noticed that Diane was mentioned infrequently after she left. However, in the 10th and 11th seasons, she came up pretty frequently, the point where in the last season, she was being mentioned every few episodes.

My theory is that you guys wanted to minimize references to the character after she left to let viewers get accustomed to Rebecca on her own terms. But when you were planning the finale, you realized Diane returning would make for a great end and wanted to foreshadow that. Any thoughts?

What we found was that when Diane was mentioned it always got a laugh. So it became a running joke. She jilted Frasier at the altar and he couldn’t let it go.

That said, we only did it sparingly, not wanting to beat the joke into the ground.  And they were not in preparation for the finale.  At the time, we didn't know when the finale would be, whether Diane would be involved, or if Shelley was even interested and available. 

But that’s when you know a show has really arrived – when you can get character laughs from characters who are no longer even there.


From DouglasG:

Any recollections of the actress Rachel Roberts? She met such a tragic end, but was a gifted comedic (Foul Play)and dramatic actress (Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Rachel Roberts played the nanny on THE TONY RANDALL SHOW. She was a wonderful British actress. At one time she was married to Rex Harrison.

She had a lovely subtle way of giving us notes. I remember one time she questioned some activity David and I gave her to do. She approached us and in the sweetest voice possible said, “So what is my motivation here, darling? I’m an out-patient?”

I still miss her.

From Paul:

You have such an interesting background. From DJ, to Hollywood big-wig (IMO), to MLB broadcaster. Quick question, did you pick the Mariners or did the M's pick you? How did that process work?

I was broadcasting for the Baltimore Orioles in 1991. We were finishing a road trip in Kansas City and heading home to host a series with Seattle.

The Mariners got into town early and their great announcer, Dave Niehaus, had a transistor radio and was listening to my broadcast from KC while in the bus heading to the hotel. Very fortunately for me, he really liked what he heard.

When there was an opening that Fall he remembered, called me, and invited me to apply. I did immediately. So in a sense they came to me and I came to them.  Thank goodness they did. 

8 comments :

DyHrdMET said...

I follow a few YouTube channels that post old games for viewing/listening (some are TV broadcasts, some are radio broadcasts). Do you know if any of your broadcasts are available for public consumption?
I also follow a channel which posts some old radio commercials and bumpers, etc. Do you know if your anything from your radio DJ days is on the internet?

VincentS said...

My favorite reference to Diana post-departure was when Karla told Sam she slept with John and Sam freaked out and said to her, "You hated Diane!" and Karla replied, "I DISAPPROVED of Diane.

Michael said...

I'm glad Dave Niehaus was listening!

About the "Diane" gag, Jack Benny used to point out that the running gags for which he was most famous didn't come up that often--the Maxwell, the vault, that sort of thing. He believed if you hold back on them a bit, they get bigger laughs when you use them. He was right, of course.

Unknown said...

I was a big fan of Rachel Roberts and lucky enough to have a season subscription to the Phoenix Repertory Company (which, in spite of its name was in Manhattan) when Ms. Roberts was the guest artist. I was able to see her pivot nimbly from the Feydeau sex farce "Chemin De Fer" to the stark Durrenmatt tragedy "The Visit" and to be Tony-nominated for both.

She was a wonderful actress and I'm glad to discover that she was a lovely person, too.

D. McEwan said...

Ah, the wonderful Rachel Roberts.

The late William Frankfather, who played "Whitey Jackson," the six foot four albino assassin in Foul Play (Bill really was 6'4". He played that role without lifts. He was with me once when Christopher Lee entered a room to a standing ovation and walked past us. Bill told me after, "I only stood up to see if I was taller than Lee or not. I am." He was) was a good friend of mine, and he invited me to the set for the last two days of filming on Foul Play and to the wrap party (Where I had a long, delightful conversation with Dudley Moore and Billy Barty while everyone else was making a fuss over Goldie and Chevy). Sadly, Roberts had completed her role a week earlier and was already back in England.

Bill had never heard of her before making the movie and knew nothing about her. I was already a fan from O Lucky Man. He told me that in meeting her he'd been unimpressed at first, as she seemed shy and meek, and held back. A nothing. Then they got to her first shot.

The first shot she did is late in the movie. She, as the murderous and lethal Miss Casswell, storms into a room containing Bill and the other villains, slamming the door and snarling out in rage, "Well now the shit has really hit the fan!" It's her drop-the-mask moment.

Bill was blown away. He told me, "I thought at that moment, 'Holy shit! This woman is an ACTRESS!!!'" He was blown away by how powerful she was when the cameras rolled, and how it vanished again on "Cut."

But she makes me feel sad. Obviously, being married to Rex Harrison, a monstrous brute if ever there was one, was one long horror. (Though she tried to have a sense of humor about it, famously saying, "It is very difficult to be taken seriously when you're introduced at a party to somebody as the fourth Mrs Rex Harrison.") And her suicide at only age 53, in a horrible fashion that was gruesome and grotesque, is major grief grist.

She wrote in her posthumously-published journals right up to when she did it, so her memoirs are basically one long, depressing suicide note.

WB Jax said...

Friday Question: Saw the "Odd Couple" and "Andy Griffith" TV movies this year and thought neither was very good. Why do you suppose so many of these "reunions" just don't "work" and can you think of any that were worthy additions to the original shows? Along, those lines, were the "Frasier" producers particularly wary of too many former "Cheers" characters popping up for "reunions" with Frasier in Seattle (or Boston)?

Mibbitmaker said...

I'm a real sucker for references to past characters in shows. MASH was a great example. While the one where Radar meets BJ's family and "Depressing News" show how the show went wrong in many ways, I still love how the former recalls past 4077th personnel (though I find it hard to believe Radar was green enough for Col. Blake to show him the ropes, given what we saw of the two in the early years), and the latter's officers' club scene with Hawkeye, BJ and the tongue depressors. Small moments like with Winchester needing a place to sleep, saying, "Let me be frank..." (small f)

Same with CHEERS Diane mentions. My 2nd favorite was when Cheers had burned, and Carla was going to stay working at the other bar upon reopening - until an uncannily Diane-like hire drove her out of there. My favorite was the at the drive-in... though more of a Shelley Long reference, really.

Similarly, original era SNL I appreciated the snarky comments about Chevy Chase that were done after he left the show.

And some reunions on FRASIER were better than others. One of my most favorite scenes in that series was the motel room scene in "Don Juan in Love" (Diane was even painting a portrait of Sam! Even when Frasier got over the alter-abandoning debacle, he still wasn't quite over it)

Bronson said...

Imagine being in the MLB commentary industry and Dave Niehaus randomly hand picks you to be in the booth with him.