Sunday, January 17, 2010

Some holiday recommendations

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day everybody!!!!

From time to time I like to make recommendations. I get no kick-backs, happy endings, or any money from these endorsements. But if the subject matter interests you I think they're worth your consideration.I just finished a hilarious book called L.A. NUTS by Joe Dungan. It's a series of extremely funny essays about living in Los Angeles. Every page is filled with colorful characters and wry observations. You'll be laughing and taking notes on just who and what to avoid. Check it out here.

Here are a couple of internet radio stations I love. When I write usually I have one of them playing so if the posts are lame blame one of them.
GREAT BIG RADIO features nothing but kick-ass rock tunes from the 70's-90's along with an irreverent announcer. And from time to time they do special features. Recently they highlighted the music of 1972. Who knew there were so many truly terrible songs in 1972? The drug problem back then must've been much worse than I thought at the time. Hear GREAT BIG RADIO here.
And for you fellow boomers, there's RICHBRORADIO. This is an oldies station that digs deep. Reeeeeeeal deep. Songs from the 50's-70's that you haven't heard since, well the 50's-70's. Very different from your normal terrestrial oldies station that plays Pretty Woman, Respect, Hotel California, and that's it. With RICHBRORADIO you get great variety, vintage radio jingles, and special features as well -- salutes to Elvis, the Beatles, and Lesley Gore. When you're in the mood for the Way-Back Machine, here's your transport.

13 comments :

Tom Quigley said...

Ken,

It's 12:15 am here and I just clicked on RICHBRORADIO... Damn, now I'm gonna be up all night listening!...

Anonymous said...

TL DR OF YOUR POST BUT NO DISRESPECT SIR

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE MAKE A NEW XCOM :S PLEASE AND MAKE IT LIKE THOSE OLD GAMES FROM MICROPROSE SORRY DCOULDNT FIND WHERE ELSE TO POST THIS AND YEAH CAPS HELP.SOMTIMES.

Howard Hoffman said...

Sorry. That must've been someone who listened to Great Big Radio too long.

Thanks, Ken! I love your radio station too.

Pat Reeder said...

The Internet radio station I have on all the time is Radio Dismuke. Jazz and pop music from about 1925-'35, with the occasional odd German 78 by the Comedian Harmonists or Marlene Dietrich thrown in. You should see my pet parrots bopping up and down and doing muted cornet sounds to Fats Waller songs. Check it out at http://www.dismuke.org/radio/

Anonymous said...

What's "ra-di-o"?

Anonymous said...

Wowser, I haven't heard many of the OTO hits on RICHBRORADIO since I played them on the radio too many years ago. The only thing I miss is cue burn.

Bob Oscar said...

What? No mention of 147KXOA The Giant X? How can you talk about great Internet stationscand leave out KXOA?...

www.147kxoa.com

chris mcdermott said...

If you're pining for the Islands, "Aloha Joe" has an internet site that gives you all the Hawaiian hula tunes you can handle.

Google him and get your grass on...skirt that is!

John said...

I think I posted this before, but if you want throwback Top 40 radio from the 1960s and 1970s, you can't get any throwbackier than this.

Paul Duca said...

Ken...you are now talking to a RichBroRadio devotee. Every time I put it on there's something good on that I don't hear anywhere, other than Reelradio--or a terrestrial radio station near me in suburban Boston

And it streams....www.959watd.com

The shows I recommend air Tuesday through Thursday 7-10 PM ET and noon-midnight ET Saturday (barring high school or college sports coverage). There also have other shows (blues, jazz,
"no boundaries" sounds up to today, seriously obscure 50's stuff) overnights and other weekend slots.

Geoduck said...

Up here in my Pacific NW town there's KBRD, which plays all sorts of obscure stuff from the 20s through the 50s.

http://www.kbrd.org/

Zack Bennett said...

RichBroRadio is operated by Rich "Brother" Robbin, my former boss. After he got screwed over by Citadel Media (several times), he said 'screw it' and now he lives on the beach and runs this awesome online station.

I'm 28 years old now and still making a living in radio, myself...but when I was 21, this guy taught me everything I know about how to be on the radio when I was a weekender for WGFX in Nashville. The guy knows his music. He knows radio. He's one of the greatest people I've ever worked for, and I didn't know or appreciate it at the time. This one's for you, RichBro.

Anonymous said...

Ken, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for that link to RICHBRORADIO! So happy listening to stuff I haven't heard since the 60's - and I can stream it at work all day. - SFPHIL