Monday, December 23, 2019

David Hyde Pierce: Guest Blogger

Here is a post that was buried in the archives. It's from 10 1/2 years ago. So I'm guessing 90% of you haven't read it. And it features a pretty special guest blogger. So here again is a Friday Question with the best person ever to answer it.
This Friday’s question comes from reader Alyson:

I recently rewatched Frasier - great show, even better than I remembered. I'm curious about the fencing scene in "An Affair to Forget" from season 2. Awhile back, you wrote a nice post about Jane Leeves and how she learned how to shoot pool for an episode. So my question is: We all know David Hyde Pierce is a great physical comedian. Did he learn how to fence for that episode, did he already know, or was he just winging it?

Not knowing the answer to this I asked someone who does – David Hyde Pierce. Alyson, here is his response:

As I recall, the writers asked me about my fencing experience before they wrote the episode. I’d been trained in stage combat by a guy named B.H. Barry, and I’d done two big sword fights for B.H., one in Cyrano and one in Kevin Kline’s Hamlet. ( In each case I both fought with and understudied the lead, which meant I had to learn both sides of the fight So, theoretically I could challenge myself to a duel and lose.) Coincidentally the actor who played Maris’ fencing instructor had also trained with B.H., so since we spoke the same language fencing-wise, we were able to learn a fairly elaborate fight in a relatively short time.

Hope that’s helpful.
Dhp

Many thanks to David Hyde Pierce along with David Lee.

The episode was directed by Philip Charles MacKenzie and the script by Anne Flett-Giordano & Chuck Ranberg won the Emmy that year for writing, beating out the more famous “Matchmaker” episode.

13 comments :

Bob backwards said...

Pretty sure Philip Charles MacKenzie played the obnoxious fiance in the Cheer's episode "Coaches Daughter"

Mike Barer said...

I got an autograph from David Hyde Pierce when they shot the on location episode in Seattle. He was very gracious.

Glenn said...

DHP almost burning down Frasier's apartment with the ironing board is still comedy gold.

Mike Bloodworth said...

One of my favorite fencing scenes is Tony Curtis vs Ross Martin in "The Great Race." And while technically not fencing, I also love the sword fight in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn.

Happy Hanukkah/Chanukah(?) everybody! May no one snuff your wick.
M.B.

No said...

I think that David Hyde Pierce was the absolute linchpin that made FRASIER great, even with the rest of the stellar cast, writers, and directors. There's something about an aloof but likeable charter that can really drive comedy, and the physical comedic component is a big part of that.

Not that it's a formula, of course. But DHP nailed it.

Kevin FitzMaurice said...

Yes. He also played a corrupt disc jockey on an episode of "WKRP."

Talented actor and director.

Michael said...

It was a great scene, although I think the tango scene may have been better!

Anonymous said...

Hey really enjoyed you post. Keep it. I wish you would post more.
Its just that I get bored from all the repetitive posts and trivial posts on Done Deal.
Your posts are very cool. Keep it up. And Why is Done Deal so boring lately?
Cheers.

Anonymous said...

The Matchmaker episode was one of the best all-around (writing, acting, directing) shows I have ever seen. And Philip Charles MacKenzie will forever be etched in my memory as the "Pond Scum" Roy on Cheers. Happy Holidays. Janice B.

sanford said...

Basil Rathbone the opposition to Erroll Flynn in Robin Hood as well as Captain Blood. He also dueled Tyrone Power in the Mark of Zorro. He was also involved in noteworthy sword fights in Tower of London. He was a skilled swordsman

Rob D said...

@Kevin FitzMaurice: I checked DHP’s filmography on IMDb.com, and it there is no credit for a guest role on WKRP. Perhaps you’re thinking of a different series?

gottacook said...

I think it's Philip Charles MacKenzie who was on WKRP. During the 1980s, David Pierce (not yet "Hyde") was a New York stage actor; he had no screen roles until years after WKRP was out of production.

Kevin FitzMaurice said...

I'm sorry, but I was replying to Bob backwards in my earlier post and referring to Mr. MacKenzie. My apologies for any misunderstanding.