Wednesday, April 08, 2020

RIP David Schramm

A number of readers have asked me to write about David Schramm, who played Roy Biggins on WINGS. He passed away recently. He was only 73. I spent five or six years on that show, mainly consulting, but also writing and directing.

I loved working with David, but to be honest, didn’t really know him that well. What I did know was he was a fine dramatic theatre and Shakespearian actor, but we never got the feeling he was “slumming it” playing comedy on a sitcom. He threw himself into the role and got every laugh we gave him. Most people don’t realize that it’s extremely hard to play the antagonist on a sitcom and still be liked by the audience. David straddled that line perfectly. And he really committed to the character. He did not mind playing a real asshole at times. And yet he did it with such a flair that you couldn’t wait for him to return to the screen.

He was also a terrific physical comedian; very light on his feet. To me he was reminiscent of Jackie Gleason. He was not afraid to look silly. The entire cast of WINGS was wonderful, but if I had to pick the two who were inspired casting I would say Tony Shalhoub and David Schramm.

He was also somewhat eccentric. In 2006, long after WINGS had ended, I was doing a reading of my first play in New York. There was a leading part I thought David would be great for. I knew he lived in Upstate New York somewhere. I figured I would just get his email address and contact him and send along a pdf of the script. Well, David didn’t have an email address. I had to track down his phone number. He graciously agreed to do the reading without even reading the play. I sent it to him anyway, via snail mail.

We only had one rehearsal the day of the performance. David nailed it. Just nailed it. In a high-powered cast of Joanna Gleason, Chip Zien, Andrew Rannells, Malcolm Getz, and David Rasche – David Schramm stole the play. He got every laugh and more. I was in awe.

I lost touch with him. Not having an email address will do that. After WINGS he went back to the theatre. But I am forever grateful for his kindness in doing my reading and his making my time on WINGS such a joy.

I invite you to binge watch WINGS. You’re in for a real treat seeing David Schramm, a gifted actor and comedian at his best.

35 comments :

Frank said...

Nice post, Ken.

I am definitely a WINGS fan and loved the Roy Biggins character. Sad to hear of his passing.

Janet said...

A sad loss and a nice remembrance.

Do you know where to watch WINGS these days?

MikeKPa. said...

Thanks for doing the tribute which, as always, was great. What made his character so well-rounded was the vulnerability he would reveal at times, especially regarding his son. Wished I had seen him on the stage.

Roseann said...

One of my first jobs in the TV biz was as Wardrobe Assistant on the Kennedy miniseries in 1983. David Schramm was one of the actors. I've never forgotten him.

Andrew said...

While the series was not nearly as great as Wings, your description of Schramm reminds me of Sorrell Booke, who in my opinion always stole the show. He only made it to age 64.

Both men, RIP.

Cowboy Surfer said...

Huge fan of WINGS.

Roy was great. He took a lot of zingers but he could deliver just as well.

Singing the national anthem at Fenway was classic.

RIP Aeromass

71dude said...

Antenna TV will have a WINGS marathon on Sunday April 19 from noon to 3AM.

Anonymous said...

Always impressed at how well defined all of the characters are in anything with which you, Dave Hackel, Phoef Sutton or David Angell were involved.

Don said...

FYI, Wings is available on CBS All-access, as are Cheers and Frasier.

David and the cast all meshed so well, I can think of only one exception in the meshing department and I'll keep that to myself. Wings remains a favorite in my home theater!

F Troop Forever said...

Thanks, Ken, for the remarks. I loved Wings, and I especially loved David's performances. I still often just suddenly flash on his singing and dancing while "hypnotized" on season 3, episode 9 (I think!), "Try to Remember the Night He Dismembered." The memory--and others!!!--still make me laugh. Such a great gift that his work is still able to give me joy, even after more years than I'd care to admit! Thanks David!!!!

Sharon said...

One of my favorite Roy episodes was "Sports & Leisure." Roy and Lowell as Trivial Pursuit partners--I still laugh when I think of Ann Margaret:)

Michael said...

It has been a long time since I saw an episode, but were there ever any episodes that featured the employees of Roy's airline?

Angela said...

if I had to pick the two who were inspired casting I would say Tony Shalhoub and David Schramm.

My mom and I were watching an episode of "Wings" a while back where Roy taught Antonio how tow dance for a cruise dance contest of some sort, and we were cracking up the entire time. They had some great moments together on that show.

I also agree about Schramm's ability to play the kind of character that Roy was and making him still entertaining and likeable. He did that perfectly.

So sad to hear of his passing. This is a lovely tribute to him.

Troy McClure said...

David Schramm talking about his time on WINGS, quoted on his Wikipedia page:

"I knew when we started it was going to be a success. Not just because the writers had been involved with Cheers, Taxi and Mary Tyler Moore. But when we sat around the table reading the first script, and I saw this buffoon they created for me, this pompous guy who said garish things to women, and all the other rich characters, I turned to Rebecca (Schull, who played Fay) and said, 'I think we've landed in a tub of butter.' And we did. If only I put the money I made under my mattress instead of in the stock market."

Ralph C. said...

Wings is one of my favorite shows. The whole cast was great. I have the entire series on DVD and was happy to watch them all again.

Guffman said...

Ken, a Friday question: Can you recall a specific gag that still haunts you because the reference was too topical?

J Lee said...

David's physical comedy was really on display in the "Blackout Biggins" episode from Season 4, where Roy faints while singing the National Anthem at Fenway Park. In terms of being a laugh-out loud episode, it's really underrated. RIP.

Jahn Ghalt said...

What a FINE professional remembrance, Ken.

Wiki entry mentions a handful of his theatre productions post-2006.

Why not mention yours?

MikeN said...

Turns out he was wrong about the Queen of Hearts.

Troy McClure said...

Ken, have you seen this? There was a live streamed reunion of the Frasier cast last week, facetiming in quarantine. Peri Gilpin and Jane Leeves as beautiful as ever.

https://youtu.be/GBM_mpTjbaM

Gron said...

Friday Question - Big Al Kaline fan - he just passed away. Any stories?

Dimples said...

Yes! On CBS app! They have the whole series!

Anonymous said...

Ken,

As always, thanks. In my life, at least, you're an essential worker. Just wanted to know if you've seen the MASH and Coronavirus video someone put up on YouTube?

Keith

Unknown said...

CBS app

Xmastime said...

I was sad to hear this last week, but also welcome any reason for people to binge Wings, the most underrated/overlooked show of its generation.

Unkystan said...

I saw David in a Broadway revival of Finian’s Rainbow a few years ago. I’m assuming not many people recognized his name from the Playbill (I certainly did) but when he made his entrance there was a wonderful round of applause when they realized who he was!
Rest In Peace.

Unknown said...

Hulu has all 7 seasons.CBS Access as well.

James said...

I have every season of Wings. A month ago my daughter and I watched the whole series. Roy Biggins was a hilarious character. I have to agree with the poster who liked the National anthem episode. It was hilarious. Roy teaching Antonio to dance was funny.Tim Daly was like The straight man in a comedy act.There was not a dud in the whole cast. I would say it was one of the great shows.

Unknown said...

It’s currently on Hulu.

Unknown said...

One of the most underrated TV shows ever.

MrX22 said...

Beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing your experiences with David.

JKW said...

Thank you for sharing! Roy was (IS) my favorite character on WINGS. I hope he knew and realized what joy & laughter he bought in people lives, especially now! RIP David

Breadbaker said...

To answer Keith the Anonymous, Ken posted it.

https://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2020/04/mash-and-coronavirus.html

It is indeed brilliant.

Unknown said...

Own it! I binge watch often! Roy Biggins was hilarious! Bought the collection!

Janice said...

Oh, thank you SO MUCH for the lovely tribute! I really enjoyed it.