Wednesday, December 09, 2020

My favorite show gift

It’s become a time-honored tradition.  TV shows give swag for the holidays.  Usually clothes items, although EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND gave out DVD players, raincoats, scooters, and more.   I still use the raincoat.  

Other gift items from various shows include baseball caps, sweaters, dart boards, bicycles, watches, record albums, jackets, sweatshirts, T-shirts, binders, coffee mugs, embossed glasses, and ties.  

Of all my gifts, the best was the satin jacket I received from CHEERS the first year.  It was very slick looking, but that’s not the reason I loved it.  

At the time, CHEERS was doing horribly in the ratings.  We aired a new episode on Thanksgiving night, 1982 and it finished dead last in the ratings.   We got our pick up for the back nine, but just barely.  And we were told that if things didn’t pick up we’d likely be canceled at the end of the season.   

Needless to say, it was disheartening because we all felt we were doing our best work.  It’s not like we could stay an extra half-hour and the ratings would go up.  

But on the weekends I started wearing that jacket.  And people would stop me to say how much they loved the show.  It was my first indication that people were watching (maybe not enough at that point) and we were connecting with them.  

Despite the ratings, we were on to something.   And could build from that. 

Two follow up points:  I’ve worn show garb from other shows over the years.  Never have I received the reaction I got from that CHEERS jacket.  The few fans we had were passionate about the show. 

And two, in looking online for a photo of that jacket I see that one is selling on eBay for $950.  Pretty good for a last place show.

I’d wear mine again but I’m still on lockdown. 

20 comments :

Roseann said...

By the time started in the film biz in NYC show swag was way, way down. I got a lot of plastic water bottles with the show logo on them. I had to buy my own show jacket for a film I worked on. Where is that thing? I have no idea....

Pat Reeder said...

One of the few benefits when I worked in radio stations was getting free band promotional T-shirts. Early on in my career, I had more of those than I could wear. I used to suggest to the record labels that if they really wanted DJs to be in their debt and to display their band names in public, they should start giving out free promotional pants. Those, I could've used.

Troy McClure said...

I'd love to know what swag was given on the Chuck Norris show Walker Texas Ranger. My guess would be a confederate flag.

Rory L. Aronsky said...

I'd love to know what swag was given on the Chuck Norris show Walker Texas Ranger. My guess would be a confederate flag.

Or a roundhouse kick to the head.

Troy McClure said...

Rory

I doubt even in the 90s Chuck could roundhouse kick anyone anymore. These days he's enjoying life at 80 with his second wife who's 23 years younger than him. Chuck's a fine specimen of Republican masculinity, having kids from both marriages plus a daughter from an affair during his first marriage and another daughter from an earlier relationship whom he didn't meet until she was 26. Gotta love those wholesome Christian family values.

blinky said...

Back in the distant (90's) past I went to an NAB convention in Las Vegas and got in the preview for the new ROSEANNE Barr talk show that was going to be the next big thing. Sadly the show bombed. Maybe because Roseanne had not gone full tilt bonkers yet. But they gave out denim biker jackets with the Roseanne logo on the back.
And yes, I know what your thinking, Ken. I WILL trade it for a Cheers jacket. Call me!

blinky said...

Back in the distant (90's) past I went to an NAB convention in Las Vegas and got into the preview for the new ROSEANNE Barr talk show that was going to be the next big thing. Sadly the show bombed. Maybe because Roseanne had not gone full tilt bonkers yet. But they gave out denim biker jackets with the Roseanne logo on the back.
And yes, I know what your thinking, Ken. I WILL trade it for a Cheers jacket. Call me!

TDG said...

I worked on the Mad About You reboot last year, and they gave us hoodies (my ideal show swag). On the way home for Thanksgiving that year, someone stopped me on the jetbridge and said, "Excuse me, did you have something to do with Mad About You? I LOVE that show." I said, "Yes, I'm working on the reboot, actually!" And she shrugged and said, "Oh, that just doesn't really seem necessary."

So, maybe not exactly as heartening as Cheers fans coming up to you, but in my own way, I was definitely drawing attention from fans too.

Lemuel said...

I'd like an Alan Partridge Castrol windbreaker.

Brian said...

Never got TV show swag NAB.I was stuck in the vendors hall. I think I got an Avid water bottle. Most of the time was spent being confronted by our own customers.

Cowboy Surfer said...

There are days my wardrobe consists primarily of swag.

I'm a swagaholic

YEKIMI said...

OK, so much for the TV shows. Did you get any swag when you worked in radio? My radio swag usually consisted of extra albums/45s or an occasional tea/hot chocolate mug (I'd say coffee mug but coffee makes me barf.) The concert tickets given out by promoters/record labels were usually snapped up by the bigger fish in the pond.....morning show guys, GM, PDs, etc.

Andrew said...

Don't anyone mock Walker Texas Ranger. That show changed my life.

YEKIMI said...

@Andrew

Chuck's so old now that if he was still a Texas Ranger he'd be using a walker.

Smilodon said...

I watched Cheers from the first episode when it aired. I was about to turn 16 and I loved it. I tuned in every week watching in my room on an old b&w set in my bedroom if everyone else was watching something else downstairs.

Andrew said...

@YEKIMI,

That would only make him twice as strong.

Chick Norris got Coronavirus. Now the Coronavirus is quarantined and in isolation.

Viscount Manzeppi said...

Andrew,

Try the decaf.

Troy McClure said...

Andrew

That's funny, but here's one funnier for creationist Chuck.

Chuck Norris called Coronavirus a hoax and then got Coronavirus. Charles Darwin laughed his ass off.

Andrew said...

@Troy,
Lol. But it has also been written: There is no such thing as evolution. There are only the animals that Chuck Norris allowed to live.

(I accidentally called him "Chick" in my previous comment, which is pretty funny as well.)

@Viscount,
Coffee drinks Chuck Norris to wake up.

(Sorry, Ken. All in good fun.)

Mike Bloodworth said...

The only swag I ever got from something I worked on was a t-shirt from the Michael Keaton movie, "Desperate Measures." And I had to pay for it. It has long since disintegrated due to wear and age.

M.B.