Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bon voyage, dear readers

Heading off tonight to Australia. I feel very safe seeing that Olivia Newton-John is flying the plane.  My wife and I will be spending the weekend in Sydney. Then boarding a cruise ship for a two week jaunt to Melbourne, Tasmania, and various stops in New Zealand. I’m guessing harbor towns. Fortunately, the ship is not going anywhere near Giglio so we should be relatively okay. Still – movies I’m avoiding on the flight over are THE TITANIC, THE POSIEDAN ADVENTURE, the remake of THE POSEIDEN ADVENTURE (I’d avoid that one anyway), and SHIP OF FOOLS. But I will be watching NIGHT AT THE OPERA, THE LADY EVE, and season two of THE LOVE BOAT.

Blog posts will continue as always. I can be opinionated from anywhere. And a travelogue will follow when I return home. And (assuming there’s wifi) I will be tweeting my observations and whereabouts along the way. So if you don’t already, I invite you to follow me on Twitter. Just go here or click on the Twitter icon along the right hand side.  I promise to only tweet fun stuff.  Who gives a shit what I have for breakfast? 

If you’re also on this cruise, I’ll be speaking on television and baseball, so if the origami classes fill-up stop by.

Thanks again to everybody for your suggestions. Without you I never would have known about these great bars, eateries, and the sex & death museum.

Behave yourselves while I’m gone. Talk to you from Oz.

21 comments :

404 said...

Happy and safe travels, Ken! I'm insanely jealous, by the way. Looking forward to reading all about it.

John said...

Just remember, Ken, you're going to the bottom half of the globe. Everything is upside down there. Be careful.

Scott said...

Who gives a shit what I have for breakfast?

Me!

Mary Stella said...

Dream trip! At least it's summer so if you have to jump ship, the water should be warm.

Can't wait to hear all about it, Ken. Bon Voyage!

R's Woman said...

I don't comment ever really, but want you to know I read you every day and look forward to and enjoy it! So, thanks in advance for keeping up the post on your travels.

You need to try the Caribbean - make your readers even more jealous. Plus we're not upside down.

Bon voyage!

HogsAteMySister said...

Hi Ken,

Bon voyage. My wife and I and her sisters will be in Melbourne for a week from 26 Jan. So if you see a short balding round Okie Down Under with an artificial left arm, give us a holler.

RICHARD W SANDS said...

Have a great time Ken, I'm in Melbourne but buried way out in the burbs. Just remember what they say about "fanny packs"

Karel Segers said...

Have a great weekend in the home town of The Story Department!

A different Ken said...

Happy trip, Ken.
Before you go, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Katherine Heigl saying she'd be open to returning to "Grey's Anatomy".

From an article on E! Online: "I've told them I want to," Katherine tells us. "I don't know... Being a showrunner and being a writer of a TV series like that is so complicated that I mean she's got how many characters are there now? ... And she tells us that if ABC or the "Grey's" producers were to call up and ask for her to return, she'd do it. "Yeah totally. I really, really, really want to see where [Izzie] is. I just want to know what happened to her and where she went and what she's doing now."

Do you think the writers would welcome her back with open arms after her "kind" words a couple of years ago?

Jack Eason said...

Enjoy your trip Ken. You will feel at home in Australia as it is considered to be an unofficial state of the US in the South Pacific. However, don't make the same mistake about New Zealand. It is its own land. :)

Breadbaker said...

Have a lovely time, Ken. Another author I know did the same thing on our cruise in November in the Mediterranean, and they had a wonderful time. I know you'll enjoy yourselves, and you'll be back in time for pitchers and catchers to report.

RCP said...

This sounds like exciting - have a wonderful time!

(And if you need anything, don't hesitate to koala)

71dude said...

Also don't watch "Speed 2" or "Friday the 13th Part 8".

Mike Barer said...

Hope you can make the Hutch awards.

Cap'n Bob said...

What, no one said you were big down under? Are there no Benny Hill fans left? Happy landings. Awful photo, BTW.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Don't be disoriented just because everything is upside down there. Just remember: wear pants for shirts, shirts for pants, and put your shoes on your head.

Don said...

Hope your cabin isn't like the one in Night of the Opera


Don

Waihesia said...

Hi Ken.

Quick tip for your visit to New Zealand... Try and make it to Waiheke Island. It's a 30 minute ferry ride from the CBD of Auckland. Gorgeous beaches and some amazing vineyards.

My pick - if you make it over here - would be a long lunch at Casita Miro. Winner of various hospitality industry awards and one of the islands best kept secrets.

Enjoy.

Matt

Johnny Walker said...

Have a safe and fun trip.

Johnny Walker said...

And don't talk to any strange Hobbits.

Rob in Toronto said...

If you had been on Turner Classic Movie's first annual TCM Classic Cruise last Dec. you could have watched THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE on a cruise ship with Ernest Borgnine in attendance! Now, THAT'S a memory !