Saturday, November 13, 2010

What's on my desk - revised

A question for writers that has been circulating the blogosphere recently is “what’s on your desk?” It's the same question I answered a couple of years ago but a few items have changed, so what the hell?

My iMac desktop computer .

Mouse on a UCLA mouse pad.

Printer.

Froggy Gremlin childhood toy.

Bob Hope in Dodger uniform bobblehead. (next to Koufax he was my favorite Dodger.)

Cup o’ pens.

Fathers Day cards.

Family photos.

A Gary Larson FAR SIDE card showing the BEWITCHED writing staff brainstorming in the fourth season. Brilliant notions like: “What if Endora casts a spell on Darren?”

Allstate accident report I was supposed to fill out in 2003.

Box of Ralphs market Oyster Crackers. There are some things it's okay to buy the generic brand.

Plastic Bob’s Big Boy (I’m a Bob’s Big Boy fanatic and can never figure out why that checkered jumpsuit look didn’t catch on.)

Five old drafts of my musical, with practically every page dog eared.

Lucite encased Real Don Steele KHJ business card.

A hard bound copy of GREAT PRETENDERS: MY STRANGE LOVE AFFAIR WITH ‘50’s POP MUSIC by Karen Schoemer. (Fun reading. I recommend it.)

My SPORTS ILLUSTRATED 2010 swimsuit model desk calendar. This week it's this picture of Julie Henderson!

A spec pilot from my rabbi.

A spindle of CD’s that includes albums from Frank Zappa and Joanie Sommers.

Dodger Stadium and Pauley Pavilion replica paperweights.

Lucite encased picture of me with AfterMASH writing staff (that includes Larry Gelbart).

Vintage typewriter from 1890 with the carriage return arm on the right side. Still easier to write on than using FINAL DRAFT.

93/KHJ Boss Radio mike flag.


Box of brads and paper clips.

My bobblehead collection which includes Harry Caray (pictured), Speedy Alka-Seltzer, and Jesus Christ.

WHO IS HARRY NILSSON? documentary DVD. Run out and get this. It's fucking amazing!

And -- Oh God – I think there’s still a sandwich.

18 comments :

JRB said...

I can't be alone in wanting to know the subject matter of your rabbi's spec script.

Sally creeping down the alley said...

Nilsson Schmilsson

Gawd. I've been waiting a looooong time to use that phrase. Thanks.

Mark said...

Wait, AfterMASH had writers???

Sorry... :-)

TC said...

The Harry Nilssen documentary is phenomenal, isn't it? My brother had been waiting four years for it to come out on DVD.

emily said...

Your desk must be 40 feet long...

That Neil Guy said...

Wow. No photos of Natalie Wood? I'm shocked!

YEKIMI said...

I wonder why she drowned, I thought Wood floats......

Gary said...

Prior to it being your desk, did it belong to Carnival Cruise Lines?

Jim Russell said...

I totally agree about "Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?" It was a brilliant decision by John Scheinfeld to only interview people who actually knew Harry.

Cap'n Bob said...

No phone?

jbryant said...

The Nilsson doc is on my Christmas list. Glad it's finally seeing the light of day.

Anonymous said...

Ah, thanks so much for mentioning the Harry Nilsson doc - just watched (instant Netflix gratification). One of the best music docs I've seen in ages. Lovely.

lucifervandross said...

Wanted to chime in that the Nilsson doc is on netflix instant stream, but someone beat me to it.

Owning things is so 5 years ago.

Stuman714 in Indy said...

Thanks for the heads up on the Nilsson dvd. I've been a fan of his since the late '60s and absolutely loved his stuff. The first album I bought when I joined the RCA record club in high school in '72 was Nilsson Schmilsson. Priceless!
Long live Harry Nilsson! And, of course Ken Levine!

Jeffrey Leonard said...

Thanks to you, I just added the Harry Nilsson documentary to my Netflix. "Everybody's Talkin'" is my all-time favorite song. The area around your Mac looks very much like mine. Except, I have a model of my favorite car ('64 1/2 Mustang), and a Nabisco Spoonman.

Howard Hoffman said...

One has truly reached their moment of immortality when a tchochke they gave you ends up on this list. I can die happy.

WV: logra - One of Japan's least successful supermonsters.

Anonymous said...

With all the free time they have, clergymen might have the perfect day job for the aspiring screenwriter.

DSinatra said...

I would really like to know more about Froggy Gremlin...does he bend or pose or walk or talk? Or is he one of those fantastic toys that require a little imagination out of the kid playing with it?