Sunday, January 01, 2006

I've been tagged

Frank Murphy from http://www.frankmurphy.com (I still haven’t figured out how to include links in posts) has tagged me with a meme. Like Frank, I had to look up the word “meme”. I’m challenged to list five of my weird habits. The real challenge is to hold it down to five.

1) In a restaurant, theatre, or any public place I can’t be seated anywhere near a child. This made it very difficult when I had my own small children. It’s not that I don’t love kids. I just love them more when they’re locked away in your home.

2) I don’t like anyone looking over my shoulder when I’m writing, be it a script, email, or love letters to Keira Knightly or Sandy Koufax.

3) I listen to 60’s music when I write. And this includes radio station jingles from the era and Joanie Sommers Pepsi commercials. I love Joanie Sommers.

4) I can’t watch an old black and white movie from the 30’s or 40’s without thinking “everyone I’m looking at is dead”. Not that this spoils my enjoyment.

5) I go through breakfast phases. I eat the same thing every day for a couple of years and then switch. Currently it’s macadamia nuts and raisins. If I ever switch to Lucky Charms get “old Betsy” off the wall and shoot me.

6) I have no blood so I always dress warm. Stop making fun of Cosby for wearing those sweaters. They look cool.

7) I check my site counter waaaaay more than I should.

8) As a former disc jockey, I still talk-up records in my car. Right up to the vocal. I’m a master at this. It’s maybe my greatest skill…which is unfortunate since it’s also utterly useless. KHJ Boss Radio is not coming back anytime soon.

9) I try to read “Confederacy of Dunces” once a year for inspiration. And finally:

10) I feel compelled to post every day. (which ties into #7)

Now it’s my turn to tag five blogging friends/victims. I choose Howard Hoffman (Hoffmania), Lloyd Thaxton, the Tabloid Whore, MK from Popbytes, and Kelditty from People We Love to Hate. (links are listed on the right)

Oh, I forgot, when I’m having trouble with internet service (like I’m having right now) I turn into Daffy Duck. My family finds it very amusing. That does not help.

10 comments :

ScriptWeaver said...

I HATE it when my girlfriend looks over my shoulder when I write. She always thinks what I write in my screenplays is inspired from my past experiences...

"So... when did you actually anally rape a monkey?"

... and then she stews in jealousy for the next few days.

Frank Strovel III said...

Don't sweat it, Ken. I don't know how to write a TV script.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that writing every day. I like to use screenwriter blogs to get me in the mood to write. When there's nothing new, I have to use my own thoughts, and that's just way too time consuming. But I always know there will be something new here.

By Ken Levine said...

I have a friend coming over in a couple of days who will hopefully walk me through all this linking business. Plus, I'm on a Mac which I'm told uses a different method. I'm proud of myself when I can remember just how to turn my computer on.

Shawn Bowers said...

Turning on the computer is a big step. My aunt has yet to get there yet. She just sort of pokes at it until it makes a noise. Like a caveman inspecting an injured mastodon.

Anyway, Ken...first time commenting, but I'm here every day. Just wanted to officially say hello and thanks for a great blog!

mernitman said...

Joanie Sommers!!! That tan (at times with freckles) and that husky voice -- Be still my pre-adolescent heart...

By Ken Levine said...

Yes, I am the world's biggest Joanie Sommers fan and I don't care who knows it.

Anonymous said...

Whaddya mean, you can't eat around children? I see you eating in the Dodger Stadium press box, and we're ALL children in there...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and my mother should get along famously...she adores Joanie Summers, as well (not quite the same way, I'm sure)--that reminds me...do you know where I can get my hands on a copy of her "Softly, the Brazilian Sound" on CD?

Oh, and do you have the episode of HULLABALOO where she, Barbara McNair and Frankie Avalon perform a Beatles medley?

I do...as well as episodes of the game shows Lloyd Thaxton hosted in the '60s--EVERYBODY'S TALKING and FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK.

Jim said...

Please inform me if Joannie is still around, and where can I see her perform?