Saturday, August 20, 2011

Shooting Just Shoot Me

Here's an episode I directed that I'm particularly proud of. It's for JUST SHOOT ME, written by Andy Gordon and Eileen Conn. I had a lot to wrestle with that week, including an orangutan, rushing water stunt, and glow-in-the-dark paint effect. I'm sure you'll recognize the guest star. It's Lisa Edelstein from HOUSE.

The last scene was particularly wild. It was quite complicated and required numerous pick-ups. Problem was, I was fighting the clock. The issue wasn't going overtime and running the budget up. It was that the orangutan had a bedtime and if he wasn't in bed in time he got mean and would start biting and attacking people. I needed an hour for the pick ups. I got ten minutes. Happy to say mission accomplished and no humans were harmed during the filming of this show.



11 comments :

Anonymous said...

Were any of the writers former magazine people? The characters and situations always felt very realistic to me.

William Jansen said...

I don't get it. Why did the monkey need to be there for the final scene? Shoot the monkey-bits, send the monkey to bed, shoot the human-bits?

Am I a genius, or (much more likely) blatantly showing my complete lack of understanding of how television works?

Len Lowe said...

Looks like the pre-Modern Family roster was running that show. Never watched it very often, can't remember why. Was hoping to see Laura San Giacomo wearing a wet outfit but a phosphate bath was not exactly what I had in mind. What's happened to Laura? Good episode - I enjoyed it. I also thought that the monkey played his/her role better than the cowboy did his. Coincidentally, saw a Frasier episode last night with guest star Lisa E. Excellent!

Anonymous said...

well directed sir, but i could do without David Spade - or without my arm, for the rest of my life.

RCP said...

I must admit that "Just Shoot Me" was one of a number of shows I missed out on - but I enjoyed this episode and laughed aloud a number of times.

Paul Duca said...

That was the original first season opening, correct? Did they change it during the run or just for cable/syndication (the version I know, where the prologue doesn't have cast credits, then a five second clip of the cast shown in strips of photographic film, then just the title, and all front credits in the first minute or so of Act One)?

I also love the line of Erin's I have never heard before...'I said faster, he said later-he was right"

I, for one, am sorry you didn't get the opportunity to direct Finch's head being stapled to a wall.

And how much more of Nina's purse can't be taken on an airplane today?

DwWashburn said...

Have to admit that the only reason I watched Just Shoot Me was Wendie Malick.

Paul Duca said...

Not the only reason, Dw, but certainly the "Take me, I'm yours!!" reason.

Jim, Cheers Fan said...

Wendie Malick was the main reason I watched, but George Segal had some great moments, too. And Brian Denehy as David Spade's father.

I remember the cast appeared on some VH1 talk show, and you could feel the tension between Segal and Laura San G through the screen.

cadavra said...

Anything that keeps George Segal employed is jake in my book. The man can do no wrong.

Anonymous said...

Please! When is the rest of the Just Shoot Me series coming out on DVD?