Saturday, October 01, 2016

It's Opening Night!

Well, this is it. Opening night. It’s the day my emotions always swing back and forth between “this is what it’s all about!” and “why the fuck did I do this?”

But mostly (this time) I’m very excited. I loved writing this play. It’s usually a good sign when I don’t get to page five and realize there’s no play here. Or I get to page seventy and realize I’ve accidentally written CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.

I’ve surrounded myself with a great cast, director, and crew. On the one hand, that makes me feel very secure. On the other, it means that if the play fizzles it’s all my fault. If jokes don’t get laughs I can't blame Lester Holt.

We’ve been rehearsing for a month. When rehearsals begin you think a month is an eternity. Then you blink and people are filing in.  But the actors are ready and the air conditioning works. 

So what’s left is just the normal first night jitters. If anyone in a theater production doesn’t have them there’s something wrong. That’s what makes live theatre so great. I’m going to keep telling myself that all day.

Tickets are available for all remaining performances. A few half price tickets are still available for tomorrow.  Come see if I’m really funny. Now through November 6th at the Hudson Guild Theatre in glamorous Hollywood (as OFF Broadway as you can get without being in the ocean). 

Good luck tonight to everyone involved. Love you all.

17 comments :

Wendy M. Grossman said...

Is this where we all post our opening night telegrams?

best of...

wg

Karen Hall said...

Wish I could see it. Break a leg!!

MikeK.Pa. said...

"As OFF Broadway as you can get without being in the ocean."
I love throwaway lines like this. They always crack me up.
I'm sure your play is loaded with similar bon mots.
Good luck and please bring it East.


Peter said...

Sorry I can't be there but break a leg as they say. I'm sure it'll be an awesome night. If any blog readers are going, please take a selfie with Ken so that he can post them!

Glenn said...

Break legs, Ken.

Glenn said...

Have a great opening, Ken. Hope the run goes well.

Paul Gottlieb said...

Break at least one leg!

Breadbaker said...

It's Ken Levine's latest show.
Will it flop or will it go?

Break a leg

D. McEwan said...

Gash a gam.

blinky said...

Good luck and break a leg. It is also opening night for my wife's art exhibit in Saratoga 4-7 with wine. Stop by after the play, assuming you have a private jet at your disposal.

Wayne said...

Good luck.
Play ball.
Why does the poster say "Gone Going Going"?

By Ken Levine said...

Thanks all!

Ken

Johnny Walker said...

Congratulations and good luck!

Cap'n Bob said...

I hope it does boffo BO.

Andy Cowan said...

Sorry I can't make it. Opening the weekend Vin is going, going, going gone, however sad that may be, is probably a good omen. In any event, look forward to hearing how it scored!

Unkystan said...

I was there last night. Had a great time. Congrats Ken!

Corny said...

I, for one, saw it -- and can vouch that your are very, very funny. And, wise too! Who knew! ;)