Saturday, November 02, 2013

Birthday in Boston

Happy Birthday to my son, Matt.   I didn't know what to get him this year.  Usually you figure you could just get your kid a new iPhone or iWhatever they just came out with.  But he's an engineer at Apple so I'd hate to get him something he had to make himself.  But since he's a huge Boston Red Sox fan I thought I'd arrange for them to win the World Series and stage the victory parade on his birthday.  It took some doing but nothing's too good for my boy.  Matt and his equally fanatic wife, Kim have flown across the country to be in Boston for the festivities today.   They should be easy to spot.  They're the ones wearing Red Sox caps. 

In any event, Happy Birthday.  I love you.  Next year it'll be a lot easier if you just want a new camera or something. 


15 comments :

Mike said...

I thought for sure that you would have bought him a copy of your latest book.

Rick Wiedmayer said...

Who is the woman on the cover of your book Must kill TV?

LouOCNY said...

I thought for sure that you would have bought him a copy of your latest book

He did- but he charged Matt $5 to have it signed...

Tom said...

Ken, FYI ... I just saw that the Natalie Wood 2014 wall calendar is half off today at calendars.com!

Mike said...

But he's an engineer at Apple so I'd hate to get him something he had to make himself.
It's OK. He's too old for a Chinese production line.

Just knit him some red socks. How many feet has he got?
(Reference: Night Gallery - Miss Lovecraft Sent Me.)

Mike McCann said...

I hope you also tossed in a gift card for dinner at Cheers: http://www.cheersboston.com/

Jeffro said...

Many happy returns of the day, Matt-son-of-Ken!

And forget Ortiz. I'm definitely now missing Victorino on MY team. SHAAAAAANE! Come baaaaaack!

LinGin said...

Jeffro -

If you're talking about the Phils, ain't that the truth!

Phil In Phoenix said...

What a great gift, Ken!

You're lucky he isn't a huge Chicago Cubs fan.

tb said...

But why is he a Red Sox fan? Shouldn't he be a Dodger fan? What happened here Ken?

Cap'n Bob said...

Considering the hassle of air travel, is this really a good gift? Hey, just kidding. I'm glad the BoSox won and I hope Matt enjoys the parade.

Emily Barsh said...


As we Bostonians would say, "THAT is wickid (sic) pissah (sic?)!"

RCP said...

Best wishes to son Matt.

Jason said...

I'm pretty sure next year he'd like the same gift.

Pamela Jaye said...

Emily, I think it's wikkid (no c) but I'm sure there's a website somewhere to look it up.
The only thing more fun than actually winning the World Series is beating St Louis in the process.
(it's a combination of being beaten by them when we had to watch in class in third grade and a personal thing where I got to have a brief bonding moment with Scott Bakula back in 2005 - he was nice about it, and I, in turn didn't ask him to sign the PDF of the Boston Globe front Page).
We beat Colorado in 07 but I didn't even remember the team (or the year) cause it was no longer The First Time, and it wasn't St. Louis. (I had to look it up.)